Monday 11 April 2011

Amanuensis Monday - the will of John Powell 1837

John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog, has a weekly theme each Monday called Amanuensis Monday to encourage the posting of transcriptions of documents to preserve and publish their contents.


John Powell was the grandfather of Jane Eliza Powell. He died in 1837, and his will is now in the collection at the National Library of Wales. Their collection of Welsh wills from pre 1859 can be viewed online.



Let this Will be Registered the same having been duly proved by Meredith Powell one of the Executors saving the right of the other executors therein named.  Effects sworn under Four Hundred and Fifty Pounds before me.


15 September 1837


I John Powell of Gilvach in the parish of Nantmel in the County of Radnor farmer being of sound mind and understanding praised by God for the same do make publish and declare this my last Will and Testament in manner following, first I give and devise to my dear Wife Jane Powell the sum of Ten pounds per Annum to be paid half yearly on the 29th of Sept and the 25th of March in cash and every year also my best bed and bed cloths also my best chest and drawers and six of my best chairs and I charge my farm of Henrhiew situate in the parish of St Harmon in the County of Radnor with the payment of the said annuity for and during the term of the natural life and in case my executors hereinafter named shall refuse or neglect to pay to my said wife the said annuity as the same […] due namely five pounds on the 29th of Sepr and the like sum on the 25th day of March in cash and every year, it is my Will that she will [...] the usual forms of landlord and distrain from the said premises for her annuity. to my eldest son John Powell I give and bequeath the sum of twenty pounds to be paid twelve months after my decease, to my daughter Elizabeth I give and bequeath the sum of one hundred pounds to be paid in like manner, also I give and bequeath to my daughter Gwennifried now married to John Evans of Berthably the remainder of the farm Pengoyed should be her fortune, in case any part of the said sum should remain paid at the time of my decease.  To my three sons now living with me (namely) Meredith, Edward and David Powell, I give devise and bequeath to them and their heirs [...], the whole of my property real and personal share and share alike, after due payment of the same named legacies likewise the payment of all my last debts which I charge my entire property with and funeral and testamentary expenses and lastly I nominate and appoint my two sons Meredith and Edward Powell joint executors of this my will published and declared this 3 day of March 1836 as my last will and testament who at my request and in my presence and in the presence of each other have subscribed their names as witnesses.




No comments:

Post a Comment