Monday 4 April 2011

Amanuensis Monday - the will of Thomas Hughes 1893

John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog, has a weekly theme each Monday called Amanuensis Monday to encourage the posting of transcriptions of documents to preserve and publish their contents.

Thomas Hughes was the father of Morgan Hughes. He spent most of his adult life living at Upper Dolelfe farm in Saint Harmon (on the road from Rhayader to Llangurig), and died there in 1893.

BE IT KNOWN that at the date hereunder written the last Will and Testament of Thomas Hughes late of Upper Dolelfan in the parish of St Harmon in the county of Radnor, farmer, deceased, who died on the 19th day of August 1893 at Upper Dolelfan aforesaid within the District of the Counties of Radnor, Brecknock and Hereford, was proved and registered in the District Probate Registry of Her Majesty's High Court of Justice at Hereford and that Administration of the personal estate of the said deceased was granted by the aforesaid Court to John Hughes of Upper Dolelfan aforesaid, farmer, the son of the deceased, one of the Executors named in the said Will He having been first sworn well and faithfully to administer the same.  Power being reserved of making the like grant to Anne Hughes, Widow, the relict of the said deceased, the other Executor.


Dated the 18th day of October 1893


Gross value of Personal Estate  £1,040.9.6
Net value of Personal Estate      £920.19.9
No leaseholds
Extracted by H V Vaughan, solicitor, Builth




This is the last Will and Testament of me Thomas Hughes of Upper Dolelfan in the parish of Saint Harmon Radnorshire Farmer.  Subject to the payment of all my just debts funeral and testamentary expenses and the legacies hereinafter bequeathed I give devise and bequeath to my wife Anne Hughes one moiety of my real and personal estate and effects wheresoever situate and of whatsoever kind for the term of her natural life and after her decease I give devise and bequeath the same to my son John Hughes and as to the remaining moiety of my real and personal estate I give devised and bequeath the same absolutely to the said John Hughes I direct that my said wife and said son John shall continue to carry on the farming business now carried on by me during the term of the life of my said wife the profits arising from such farming business to be equally divided between them.  In the event however of my said son John Hughes desiring to discontinue the said partnership then I direct that he shall pay to her one half of the value of my farming stock and farming effects to and for her own use during the term of her natural life and after her death such sums to revert to my said son John Hughes in accordance with the previous provisions of this my Will such value to be ascertained at the time of my decease by a valuation to be made as soon as convenient after my decease.  I give and bequeath to my Daughters Anne wife of Edward Jones of Aber in the parish of Llangurig, Elizabeth wife of John Pugh of Brithdir also in the parish of Llangurig, Catherine wife of John Lewis of Cwmyrychen in the parish of Saint Harmon and Harriet wife of Richard Ingram Ten pounds each also to my Sons Morgan Hughes of Vedw and Evan Hughes of Penrhiw both in the parish of Saint Harmon aforesaid and Richard Hughes of London House West Street Rhayader in the County of Radnor the sum of Ten Pounds each in all Seventy pounds the same to be paid to them (or in case of their decease to their respective representatives) within twelve calendar months after my decease hereby revoking all former Wills heretofore made by me I hereby declare this to be my last Will and Testament and appoint my said wife Anne Hughes and my said son John Hughes to be joint Executors.  Dated this fifth day of June 1890.  Thomas Hughes.






Signed, published and declared by the said Testator Thomas Hughes as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us present at the same time who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses.
Edw. Wood  Solicitor Rhayader
Jno. Jones, Clerk to Mr Wood




Proved at Hereford on the 18th day of October 1893 by the oath of John Hughes, the son, one of the Executors to whom administration was granted.  Power being reserved of making the like grant to Anne Hughes, Widow, the Relict, the other Executor.
The Testator Thomas Hughes was late of Upper Dolelfan in the parish of Saint Harmon in the County of Radnor Farmer and died on the 19th day of August 1893 at Upper Dolelfan aforesaid.
Gross  £1,040.9.6


HV Vaughan, Solicitor, Builth

No comments:

Post a Comment