Monday 24 January 2011

Amanuensis Monday - the will of Jane Eliza Hughes 1923

John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog, has a weekly theme each Monday called Amanuensis Monday to encourage the posting of transcriptions of documents to preserve and publish their contents.

Jane Eliza Hughes (nee Powell) was my great-great-grandmother.



This is the last Will and Testament of me Jane Eliza Hughes of the Neuddu Temperance Hotel in the town of Builth Wells in the County of Brecknock. I give and bequeath to my son Arthur Gordon Hughes the sum of Two hundred pounds. I give and bequeath to my son Thomas Walter Hughes the sum of Four hundred pounds. I give and bequeath to my daughter Delilah Jane Pugh the sum of one hundred and fifty pounds. I give and bequeath to my daughters Gertrude Anne Hughes and Gladys Hughes in equal parts the third share in the Neuddu Temperance Hotel Builth Wells. I give and bequeath to my son Albert Edward Powell Dolelfe Ganol the sum of fifty Pounds. I declare that my field adjoining the town of Builth Wells is to be sold and all my debts be paid and the residue of my estate whatsoever be divided in equal shares between my children Harold Hughes Arthur Gordon Hughes Thomas Walter Hughes Delilah Jane Pugh Gertrude Anne Hughes and Gladys Hughes. And I appoint my brother in law Richard Hughes Draper London House Rhayader in the County of Radnor sole executor of this my will. In witness thereof I hereunto set my hand this seventh day of April in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and twenty one.


Signed by the said Jane Eliza Hughes in the presence of us who in her presence and in the presence of each other at the same time subscribe our names as witnesses. 
David Maldwyn Jones, The Manse, Rhayader, Congregational Minister
Mary Worthing, London House, Rhayader, Drapers Assistant


On the 31st day of January 1923 Probate of this Will was granted at Hereford to Richard Hughes the sole executor.

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca. I am new to your site and glad I stopped by. The lovely photo of the original will was delightful, and also appreciated your transcrition. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete