Monday 7 February 2011

Amanuensis Monday - the will of David Powell probated 1887

John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog, has a weekly theme each Monday called Amanuensis Monday to encourage the posting of transcriptions of documents to preserve and publish their contents.

David Powell was my 3 x great grandfather, the father of Jane Eliza Powell.




On the fourteenth day of March 1887 the Will with a Codicil thereto of David Powell late of Hendrew in the parish of Saint Harmon in the County of Radnor, farmer deceased, who died on the eighth day of December 1886, at Hendrew aforesaid was proved in Her Majesty's High Court of Justice in the District Registry attached to the Probate Division thereof at Hereford by the Oath of David Powell of Hendrew aforesaid Farmer,the son of the deceased, the sole Executor named (in the said will) he having been first sworn duly to administer.


Personal Estate gross £18.0.0


No leaseholds


Extracted by The Executor


This is the last Will and Testament of me David Powell of Hendrew in the parish of Saint Harmon in the county of Radnor Farmer. I revoke all Testamentary writings heretofore at any time executed by me and I appoint my son David Powell of Hendrew in the parish of Saint Harmon aforesaid in the said County of Radnor Farmer sole Executor of this my Will. I give and bequeath the following legacies each and every one of them to be paid free of legacy duty that is to say


To my daughter Jane Eliza Hughes wife of Morgan Hughes the sum of Sixty pounds


To my daughter Mary Powell the wife of John Powell the sum of sixty pounds


To my son John Powell the sum of Two hundred and sixty pounds


To my son Arthur Powell the sum of Two hundred and sixty pounds


And to my son Thomas Price Powell the sum of Two hundred and sixty pounds.


And I hereby charge all my real and personal estate of whatsoever kind with the payment of the legacies hereinbefore bequeathed by me and subject to the payment of all my just debts funeral and testamentary expenses and the legacies hereinbefore bequeathed by me. I give devised and bequeath my freehold farm known as Hendrew situate in the parish of Saint Harmon aforesaid in the said County of Radnor and all other my property both real and personal of whatsoever nature or kind and wheresoever situate unto and to the use of my said son David Powell his heirs and assigns in fee simple absolutely. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand this third day of June one thousand eight hundred and eighty six.


Signed and declared by the said David Powell the testator as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us all present at the same time who in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses:
Edward Hughes Clerk to Messrs Wood & Talbot, Solicitors, Rhayader
David Thomas, Nantgwyn, Saint Harmon, Black Smith


This is a codicil to the last will and testament of me David Powell of Hendrew in the parish of Saint Harmon in the County of Radnor which Will bears the date the third day of June one thousand eight hundred and eighty six and is written on the first and second pages of this sheet of paper. Whereas since the date of my said Will I have advanced the sum of Twenty pounds to my daughter Mary Powell the wife of John Powell and the sum of Ten pounds to my son John Powell now I hereby declare it to be my Will and intention and I hereby direct that the said respective sums of twenty pounds and ten pounds so advanced as aforesaid shall be and are in satisfaction so far as such sums respectively extend of the legacies respectively and bequeathed by my said Will to my said daughter Mary Powell and my said son John Powell and further I declare it to be my Will and intention that any sums or sum which I may hereafter advance to any or either of the beneficiaries under my said Will shall be and shall be taken to be in part satisfaction pro tanto of the legacies or legacy by my said Will respectively given and bequeathed to such beneficiaries or beneficiary. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand this twelfth day of November one thousand eight hundred and eighty six.


Signed and declared by the said David Powell the Testator as and for a Codicil to his last Will and Testament in the presence of us present at the same time who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto set our hands as witnesses.


David Thomas, Black smith Nantgwyn Smithy Saint Harmon
Edward Vaughan Ingram Cefnllech St Harmon


Proved at Hereford with a Codicil on the 14th day of March 1887 by the oath of David Powell, the son, the sole Executor named in the Will to whom administration was granted.


The testator David Powell was late of Hendrew in the parish of Saint Harmon in the County of Radnor Farmer and died on the 8th day of December 1886 at Hendrew aforesaid.


Gross £18.0.0


The Executor

1 comment:

  1. Hi there just found this in google images and couldn't believe it David Powell is my great great grandfather,his son Arthur my great grandfather and his second son Thomas my grandfather. Small world isn't it

    ReplyDelete