Monday 21 February 2011

Amanuensis Monday - the will of John Jones 1881

John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog, has a weekly theme each Monday called Amanuensis Monday to encourage the posting of transcriptions of documents to preserve and publish their contents.

John Jones was my 4xG grandfather (the maternal grandfather of Pryce Pugh). He died at the age of 82.




On the seventeenth day of December 1881, the Will of John Jones late of Lodge Farm in the parish of Llandinam in the County of Montgomery Gentleman deceased who died on the 28th day of July 1881 at Lodge Farm aforesaid was proved in Her Majesty's High Court of Justice in the District Registry attached to the Probate Division thereof at Shrewsbury by the Oaths of Price Pugh of Cwmderw in the parish of Llananno in the County of Radnor farmer and John Jones of Tynywern in the parish of Moughtrey in the County of Montgomery farmer, the son of the said deceased the Executors names (in the said Will) they having been first sworn duly to administer.

Estate Under £1500 Gross value £1232.4.10  Net value £1180.0.8

No leaseholds
Extracted by Geo R Thorne of Wolverhampton Solicitor.

This is the last Will and Testament of me John Jones of Lodge Farm Llandinam in the County of Montgomery Gentleman.  I appoint my son in law Price Pugh and my son John Jones (hereinafter called my said trustees) the trustees and executors of this my Will.  I give devise and bequeath unto my said Trustees all my property estate and effects of every kind and description upon trust to convert into money such part thereof as shall not consist of money and to collect and get in all sums of money due to me on mortgage, bonds, promissory notes and other securities and after payment thereout of all my just debts funeral and testamentary expenses upon trust to pay to my said son John the sum of Two hundred pounds and to divide the remainder between my six daughters namely Martha, Mary Ann, Jane, Elizabeth, Ann Catherine and Sarah Lavinia in equal shares.  And I hereby declare than should be said daughter Ann Catherine die in my lifetime leaving a child or children then and in such case the child or children shall take (and if more than one equally between them) the legacy or share which the said Ann Catherine would have taken at my decease had she survived me.  Provided always and I do hereby declare than should the said child or children or any of them be at the time of my decease under the age of twenty one years my said trustees shall invest in their own names the share or shares of such child or children being a minor or minors as aforesaid on mortgage or other good security and shall pay the same with all accumulations of interest thereon to such child or children when and as such child shall respectively attain the age of twenty one years.  I hereby declare that the legacies or shares given by this my Will to my said daughters shall be for their respective sole and separate use and benefit and their receipts alone shall be sufficient discharges to my trustees and executors for the same.  I devise to my said trustees all estates vested in me as a trustee or mortgagee subject to the equities affecting the same.  I hereby revoke all former Wills and testamentary dispositions made my me and declare this to be my last Will and Testament.  In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand this eighth day of December one thousand eight hundred and seventy nine.

Signed and declared by the said testator John Jones as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us both present at the same time who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses (the said Will having been previously read over to the said John Jones in our presence when he appeared to perfectly understand the contents thereof).

The mark of X John Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment