Monday 2 May 2011

Amanuensis Monday - The will of Henry Pugh 1814

John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog, has a weekly theme each Monday called Amanuensis Monday to encourage the posting of transcriptions of documents to preserve and publish their contents.

Henry Pugh was the grandfather of David Pugh and great grandfather of Mary Ann Pugh.

Llandilo Graban, 28th May 1814
The Will of Henry Pugh
Proved by Thomas Pugh the Executor
Invy £48.9.0

I, Henry Pugh Senior of Wyeside in the Parish of Llandilo Graban in the County of Radnor & Diocese of St David’s do make constitute & ordain this my last Will and Testament in manner & form following, that is to say, I give devise & bequeath to my dear & loving Wife Ann Pugh the sum of five Pounds yearly & every year during the natural state of her life, in addition to the sum of Ten Pounds a year made to her by her son John's marriage settlement, the said sum of five pounds a year to be paid her quarterly by my Executor whom I shall hereafter name, I also give her my said wife all the furniture in the house where I now reside to be at her disposal & a sow & all the grain in the house & all the provisions in my house.  I give devise & bequeath to my son Henry Pugh the sum of Thirty Pounds to be paid him at the expiration of Six months after the decease of his mother.  I also give devise & bequeath to my to my said son Henry Pugh the sum of One Hundred Pounds but in trust only for my daughter Ann Pugh, to be paid to her by my said son Henry Pugh at her desire to assist her in bringing up her children.  The said sum of One Hundred Pounds to be paid into the hands of my son Henry Pugh in Trust & for the only use of my daughter Ann Pugh at the Expiration of six months after my decease.  I also give devise & bequeath to my daughter Mary Williams the sum of five pounds to be paid to her at the end of six months after the decease of her mother.  I also give devise & bequeath to my son Thomas Pugh all the furniture belonging to me in the Church House & all my living stock of every description not herefore bequeathed, him & his forever & I hereby nominate & appoint my said son Thomas Pugh to be whole and sole Executor of this my last Will & Testament revoking, disannulling & making void all former will or wills heretofore made by me do constitute and ordain this to be my last Will & Testament.  In Witness hereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal Ninth day of April one Thousand Eight Hundred & Fourteen.

Signed, sealed, published & retained by the undermentioned Henry Pugh for and as his last will and Testament in presence of Thomas Davies, Williams Clk.


A true and perfect inventory of all the Goods, Chattels and Effects of Henry Pugh late of the parish of Llandilo Graban deceased.
                                                                          £ s d
Wearing Apparel                                               3-0-0
Crop upon the land, a small field of wheat       6-0-0  
One cow and calf                                             7-0-0
One pony                                                         1-0-0
A small pig                                                       0-8-0  
A few sheep                                                   11-8-0
Household furniture                                     19-13-0
                                                                      48-9-0

Apprised by us whose names are here unto subscribed the 21st day of April 1814.

Thomas Pugh
John Davies

No comments:

Post a Comment