Monday 4 July 2011

Amanuensis Monday - letter from Bill Hudson to Peggy November 6th, 1941.

My grandfather Bill Hudson worked as a prison officer in Hong Kong from 1921 to 1941. He was still in Hong Kong in December of 1941 when the Japanese invaded and occupied the colony. My grandmother Peg and my father Peter had been evacuated to Australia in July 1940. Peg kept the last couple of letters Bill wrote from Hong Kong prior to the Japanese invasion, along with the letters he wrote immediately after liberation.

Most of the letters are long, so I'm going to serialise them over the next few weeks.

The first letter is dated Thursday 6 November, 1941, just over a month before the Japanese invaded Hong Kong. This is page 4.

Page 1 is here.
Page 2 is here.
Page 3 is here.


I am getting on fine, here I am on page 4, methinks I will be able to write again on Sunday.


Next week will be a heavy one, Friday 14th Geordies den, Saturday 15th the Aitkenhead Shield at K.B.B.C., Sunday  "Geordies" v "Langford" at Bowls, but I think I will miss that. Now don't be surprised if I don't write on that Sunday. Nice to give you plenty of warning. You see Dear, I am not now worrying about the P.W.I. job, I have my acting pay, yet the younger ones are not doing a thing about it, I have had my fight, it's up to them now Peg. The others don't know I am getting this pay, when they do, there will be some moaning!


I am just going to have another beer, yes I had one about 6pm, its now 7 pm, I expect soon Tai will be saying "Master dinner", I can smell it cooking, its good also. Am glad you got my Registered Letter, but it certainly took time enough to go. I allowed it 14 days, and I am sorry it did[n't] arrive in time for Peter's birthday.


Am I a nice Daddy to send money, I don't know what and how I have been doing with my pay before I had my leave I could not save a red cent. Talking of cents we have now 10cts and 5cts paper money, now they look very nice, but wait until they get old and worn.  Here is a couple for Peter to show his pals.


Hurry along with a few snaps, I am longing to see how you both look. Should I have another photo taken, a new big one, in my new suit. Glad you got the Cookery Book, now I hope soon you will receive the petticoat they had to be made to order Popeye had your measurements. Dinner is served "Master sick caru". Add a few love apples.


Love Willie


Half an hour later, I feel like a little Pig, my belly sticks out, is that rude. Nothing much on the news, the Reds are holding the Bosche, [??] he is. May I say, promise, X my fingers, that I will write on Sunday.


Love to my Peter and my Sweetheart, Ever and Always, Your Daddy Bill.


Gowland is still in Hospital, tired I think. B

No comments:

Post a Comment