Monday 14 March 2011

Amanuensis Monday - the will of Lancelot Hudson 1856

John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog, has a weekly theme each Monday called Amanuensis Monday to encourage the posting of transcriptions of documents to preserve and publish their contents.


Lancelot Hudson was a first cousin of my g-g-grandfather George Hudson. He married Isabella Wilkinson, and they had two children, Henry and Isabella, neither of whom are mentioned in the will. Henry died in July 1855 (after the will was written), and so far, I've found no sign of Isabella after her baptism.

This is the last Will and Testament of me Launcelot Hudson of the Borough of Sunderland in the County of Durham Shipowner and Master Mariner made this third day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty five.

I give devise and bequeath All my real and personal estate and effects whatsoever and wheresoever and of what nature or kind so ever which I may be seized or possessed of at the time of my decease unto Martin Lowe of Sunderland aforesaid Shipbroker and Martin Lowe the Younger of the same place Shipbroker their heirs sequels in right executors administrators and assigns of the Survivor of them, Upon trust as soon as conveniently my be after my decease to convert the same into money and out of the proceeds thereof in the first place to pay and discharge all my just debts funeral and testamentary expenses and all costs and charges to be incurred in and about the carrying out of the trusts of this my Will and in the next place to invest so much of the surplus of the proceeds of my said real and personal estate as will secure a clear annual sum of twenty six pounds to be paid and applied to the use of my dear Wife Isabella for and during the term of her natural life such Annuity to be paid by four equal quarterly payments on the thirteenth day of May, the thirteenth day of August, the thirteenth day of November and the thirteenth day of February in every year during the term aforesaid.

Provided always and I hereby empower my said Trustees or the survivors of them if they or he shall so think fit to purchase a Government Annuity for the said sum of twenty six pounds to be paid and applied to the use of my Wife in manner aforesaid

and as to the residue of my said Real and personal estate and effects I do hereby declare the same shall as to one fourth part or share thereof be in trust for my sister Margaret Wallace, the wife of Dent Wallace to and for her own separate use and benefit and free from the debts control and engagements of her present or any future husband with whom she may intermarry.

As to one other fourth part or share thereof the same shall be In trust for my sister Sarah Turner, the widow of Francis Turner to and for her own separate use and benefit free from the debts and control of any future husband with whom she may intermarry.

As to one other fourth part or share thereof the same shall be In trust for my dear sister Elizabeth Elliott the wife of John Elliott to and for her own use and benefit and free from the debts control and engagements of her present or any future husband with whom she may intermarry.

And as to the remaining one fourth part or share thereof the same shall be In trust for all and every the Child and Children of my sister Jane Halliday deceased who shall be living at the time of my decease in equal shares and proportions as Tenants in Common and not as Joint Tenants.

I hereby declare that the receipts of the said Margaret Wallace, Sarah Turner, Elizabeth Elliott and the Children of the said Jane Halliday deceased respectively shall be sufficient discharges to my said Trustees and Executors for their respective portions of such residue.

I appoint the said Martin Lowe and Martin Lowe the Younger Executors of this my Will and declare that their receipts shall be good and valid discharges to purchasers of any portion of my real and personal estate and that such purchasers shall not be obliged to see to the application of the purchase moneys acknowledged by such receipts to be received and I hereby declare that my trustees and executors shall not be answerable for involuntary losses.

I hereby revoke all former wills by me made.  In witness whereof I have thereunto set my hand the day and year first above written.

L Hudson

Signed by the said testator Launcelot Hudson as and for his last will and testament in the presence of us present at the same time who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as Witnesses the word “Widow” in the fifth line from the top of the second page and the words “her present or” in the seventh line from the top of the second page having been first made and erased.

Jno Hucarper Sol Sunderland
Ames Eglington his clerk

On the 29th day of August in the year of our Lord 1856 Martin Lowe of Murton Street in the Borough of Sunderland in the County of Durham, shipbroker and Martin Lowe the younger of Murton Street in the Borough of Sunderland in the County of Durham Shipbroker, the Executors named in the within written will were duly sworn as usual.  Effects sworn under £4000.  And that the Testator died as is supposed at Sea after the second day of January 1856.

Before me John B Dykes, Surr.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rebecca,

    I've been enjoying your blog, I can relate as I've been spending a lot of time as an amanuensis lately! Nice job with the transcriptions. I nominated you for a Lovely Blog award. Stop by here to get your award badge!

    http://mahoganybox.net/2011/i-really-like-this/one-lovely-blog

    -Claire

    ReplyDelete